Seniors and Senioritis

Senior year in general can be a handful, but this is especially true this year since we are in the middle of a global pandemic. We caught up with a couple of seniors to get their thoughts on their last year of high school.

“I like the fact that this is my final year of high school and that my senior year has been a rollercoaster, filled with ups and downs. I’m so ready to graduate and start college,” Kevin Oommen said.

This year and 2020 have been a rollercoaster filled with so many new and different challenges students have gone through.

“Soccer has been hard to balance with school because this year feels like it’s so loaded with work and then sometimes, I just don’t have enough time to get everything done with practice and games after school. It just makes it difficult to attend tutorials or anything really,” Cindy Vaquero said.

Being able to see a friend’s smile is comforting and even the best part of school for some students. But when you cannot see someone’s face or face expressions it makes it seem like everyone is either mad or sad. It takes a while to get used to just seeing people eyes when they are wearing masks.

“I feel kind of sad because I miss hugging my friends and being able to see their faces/ smiles,” Fatima Gallegos said.

It is common for seniors to have senioritis the first semester of school since usually the first semester can be a handful, trying to adjust to school after a summer break. Or like in this case, trying to adjust to the precautions and regulations COVID-19 comes with, like always staying 6 feet apart.

“I didn’t expect my senior year to be struggle thanks to Covid-19. I had senioritis during my first semester, but I got cured when this semester started,” Kevin said.

It is weird for many seniors having to finish their last year of high school during a pandemic which is why they should be taking precautions and staying safe to make this school year a little better.

“Senior year has been by far the most stressful year of my whole high school because it’s just been so chaotic with COVID-19 and I’ve had senioritis,” Cindy said. “I’m just so ready to graduate already.”